• February 2023: Recruitment begins for the Chief of Police. Postings are sent locally and nationally. Exam announcement-Open Competitive(external): Exam Candidates must have their domicile as New York State for at least one month immediately preceding the examination date.
• March 26, 2023: The Civil Service Police Chief exam is offered in Ontario County and across New York State.
• April 4, 2023: The City is notified by Ontario County that three internal (promotional) candidates and two external (open competitive) candidates appeared for the exam. The numbers shared were individuals at the Ontario County location. Others could appear on the list if they were cross filers (individuals that had taken the exam at a different location. The City awaits the results.
• June 13, 2023: Exam results are in and are provided to the City - three internal candidates and three external candidates participated and passed the exam. The internal list is certified to the City on 6/16/2023 and the next phase of the hiring process can begin. As there are three internal candidates, candidates from the external list are not eligible for the position.
• June 23, 2023: The Community Survey for Policing is launched. This survey assists the City Manager in making a selection of Chief that meets the community priorities and in creating the interview questions.
• June 30, 2023: Candidates are publicly announced and the process for hiring is shared.
• July 13, 2023: Interviews are held in two phases:
o Phase 1: Panel Interviews - Candidates meet with a panel of community, departmental, and city representatives and participate in a traditional interview process. These interviews will be in a closed session. The panel will provide feedback to the City Manager.
o Phase 2: Community Interviews - Candidates meet with the City Manager and are asked the questions gathered through the community survey. Interviews are live streamed and recorded for community members to review and provide feedback to the City Manager.
• July 20, 2023: A decision is finalized by the City Manager and an offer will be made to the top candidate.
• No later than August 1, 2023: The appointment in announced and the next Chief of Police is welcomed into their new role in the City of Geneva.
To take survey click here.
For more information on our Police Department click here.