DID YOU KNOW?
You can find many answers on our website – www.cityofgenevany.com
All of our Departments are listed under “GOVERNMENT”– “DEPARTMENTS”
The city code is under “GOVERNMENT” - “CITY COUNCIL”– “GENEVA MUNICIPAL CODE”
City of Geneva, NY most asked questions:
• STAR program – is a NYS program. It helps reduce your school tax. If you are signed up for an exemption (a capped amount automatically applied to your school tax), you can change it to a credit (an amount that may go up each year ~2%). This is mailed to you in a check each fall to apply to your school taxes. Visit www.tax.ny.gov or call 518-457-2036
• Winter Parking Enforcement –Winter parking program allows residents and visitors to utilize on street parking from 2AM to 8 AM from December 1 to April 1 unless an overnight parking ban due to a winter weather event has been declared by the city. Official notification of an overnight parking ban will be posted on the city website www.cityofgenevany.com and through alternative notification and social media systems. Winter Parking Restrictions will be enforced when there is weathered event. This will continue until further notice. No parking on City streets will be permitted, EXCEPT streets marked with alternative parking signage. If you park on alternate streets or in downtown municipal lots PLEASE FOLLOW ALTERNATE parking rules. We appreciate you parking off-street and helping us safely clean snow from city streets. REMINDER: WINTER PARKING FINE IS NOW $75.00. If you are not signed up to receive winter parking enforcement notifications and alerts, please sign up on our city's webpage https://cityofgenevany.com/list.aspx, continue to check our city webpage and Facebook for updates.
• Trash Removal / Recycling – Property owners are responsible for hiring a trash removal company. Trash haulers operating within the City of Geneva are required to be licensed by the city. See our website under “residents/green initiatives/solid waste recycling in Geneva” for a list of haulers. All totes/containers must be labeled “RECYCLE” or “TRASH or LANDFILL” Totes, recyclables, and food waste receptacles shall not be left in front of property for more than 24 hours. City code 300-3 (Proper disposal required), 300-9 K. (Conditions for licensing)
• Rental Property – Landlords of rental property must register on the city website. Check with Office of Fire Marshall / Code Dept for inspections and permitting – 315-789-5311.
• Lawn debris pickup – Spring and Fall – DPW goes around the city to pick up residents’ lawn debris. A limited amount of Leaf bags are available at City Hall – Clerks office – 1ea 5/pack per household. They also pick up Christmas trees. Paper leaf bags and Christmas trees should be placed between the sidewalk and curb and not in the road. You can also take lawn clippings to 41 Doran Ave/Resource Recovery Park. Hours of operation are on the city website, along with dates for debris pickup when announced.
• Exterior Property, maintenance of lawn, sidewalk & snow removal – Property owners are responsible for maintaining grass lawns and sidewalks. If the City has to provide services to property for un-mowed lawn (grass over 6” high), snow removal for sidewalk (must be removed within 24 hours after snowfall), and/or trash in yards, property owners will be billed costs plus administration fees. If bill is not paid, it will be levied onto the next tax bill. City code -100-3 (Brush, Grass, Weeds) and 306-7 (Cleaning, Maintaining & Repairing Sidewalks)
• Handicap permits –
City residents – go to Police Dept., 255 Exchange St. (315) 828-6771
Town of Geneva residents – go to Town Clerk, 3750 Co Rd 6 (315) 789-3922
• Permits for property improvements –
Office of Fire Marshall / Code Dept 315-828-6570
• Animal control – Call 911 – they dispatch Officers and agencies. This includes dogs running loose, mistreatment of dogs, rabid animals and injured deer.
• Dog Licenses – all dogs 6 months and older must be register at the City Clerk’s Office. There is a maximum of 3 dogs per household. See City Clerk’s page on our website or call 315-789-2603.
• Dog Park – located by the Ice Rink – must apply at the City Clerk’s Office. Dogs must be registered and have updated rabies shot. Renewal each year – runs Jan 1 to Dec 31. Not pro-rated. See Recreation Department page on our website.
• Recreation Dept – has different programs throughout the year including ice skating, youth sports and adult classes. See the Recreation Dept page on our website for more programs and information
• Farmers’ Market – runs May to October. See Neighborhood Initiatives page on our website.
• Boat Launch – located near the Finger Lakes Welcome Center. From April 1st to October 31st each year, city residents can obtain a fee permit at City Clerk’s office at City Hall with trailer registration and driver’s license. Non-residents pay at the kiosk next to the launch. There is no overnight trailer parking. 48 hours maximum for boat docking.
• City/County tax – Mailed January 1
-1st installment due Jan 31
- 2nd installment due May 31
Pay at Lyons National Bank – through May 31st – June – Dec. taxes are paid at City Hall
Debit/credit card payments can be done on city website or at City Hall for an additional charge
• School taxes – Mailed from the school district September 1st and due by September 30th
Paid at 83 Seneca St, Geneva or 20 Ontario St, Canandaigua - Call 585-396-4432 with questions
***surcharge is added at the end of each month bill is past due***
October 1 delinquent bills are turned over to the City Comptroller
– call for details after Oct 12th
• Water Bill – Billed quarterly – Jan 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 - Pay at Lyons National Bank
- Credit/debit card payments can be done on city website or at City Hall for an additional charge
- NO payments taken after 11/15 – balance goes on next year’s tax bill
Water Bill and current taxes on-line payment -www.municipalonlinepayments.com/genevany
Automatic Payments can be taken out of your account – forms at the Comptroller’s Office at City Hall
• Vehicles – Vehicles cannot be parked in yards or blocking sidewalks
• City Council – see the Council page on our website for contact phone numbers and addresses.
• Other agencies:
Geneva BID – 315-789-0102
Geneva City Court – 315-237-6575
Ontario County Board of Elections – 585-396-4005
Town of Geneva Clerk - 315-789-3922