Complaint Form

Please use the form below to file a complaint

The Geneva Police Department policy regarding our internal Personnel Complaints/Disciplinary System can be found here. If you do not wish to participate in the complaint process, you may make an anonymous complaint by ommitting your contact information; however if you do wish to be involved, please fill in as much information below as possible.


  • Once your complaint has been submitted a case number and investigator is assigned. All available witnesses will be contacted, and any physical or other relevant evidence including records, reports, recordings and computer data will be collected and reviewed. You will be contacted by a Lieutenant, or another person designated by the Chief of Police. 
  • Once the investigation is completed, the investigation and its report will be forwarded to the Chief of Police for final disposition of the case. When a complaint is sustained, the Chief will determine and administer appropriate corrective action which may include discipline. 
  • Department policy requires that the complaint investigation be conducted and completed within 45-60 days; however, the Chief of Police can waive the time frame depending on the complexity and sensitivity of the investigation. 
  • After the investigation has been completed and the Chief of Police has made a final decision, you will be notified of the results by mail. 


  • What is a complaint? 
    • A complaint is a belief that a member of the Geneva Police Department has violated a department rule or procedure, a federal, state, or local law, or dissatisfaction with a policy or procedure of the Geneva Police Department.
  • Who can make a complaint?
    • Anyone can file a complaint if they truly and honestly believe a police department employee has acted improperly.  
  • How do I file a complaint? 
    • Although you may submit a complaint anonymously, we would prefer to be able to speak to you in person and be able to follow-up with you in the event we need additional information. You may file a complaint online (below), by mail or in person. We have forms available at the police department or City Hall. 
  • Who investigates a citizen's complaint? 
    • Complaints of alleged misconduct are investigated by members of the department who are certified to conduct internal affairs investigations. The investigation is then reviewed by the Chief of Police and the City personnel office if needed. 
  • What does this process NOT handle? 
    • This process does not litigate or decide the outcome of any, parking or traffic tickets, criminal or non-criminal offenses. These questions should be directed to the court of jurisdiction or your own legal counsel. 
  • What if my complaint involves criminal behavior?
    • The Ontario County District Attorney's Office may be consulted on any complaint that alleges criminal conduct while the internal investigation is pending. 
  • Will I be told the results of the investigation?
    • YES – At the conclusion of the investigation and review by the Chief of Police, you will be notified of the results by mail. Due to contractual and legal

      restrictions, you will only be given the finding of the investigation of whether your complaint was SUSTAINED, UNFOUNDED, EXONERATED, NOT SUSTAINED, OR IS ONE OF DEPARTMENT SERVICE OR PROCEDURE. The department is prohibited from revealing specific personnel actions taken against the employee.

  • Can I get in trouble for making a complaint?

    • NO – Every citizen has the right to file a complaint, if it is done in good faith, with an honest belief that an employee of the acted improperly. However, If a false statement is made you may be charged under the NYS Penal Law Section 210.45.

Complaint Action Form


  1. 1. Complainant
  2. 2. Accused Officers
  3. 3. Incident
  4. 4. Witness(es)
  5. 5. Narrative
  • Complainant


      This area is optional. 

    2. I would like to submit this form:*