Police Reform Initiatives
Through Governor Cuomo's Executive Order Number 203, the Governor has charged local municipalities' Chief Executive Officer and Chief of Police to present an action plan by April 1, 2021 to their governing body after a comprehensive review of current police force deployments, strategies, policies, procedures and practices, along with input from stakeholders.
Announcement: On Wednesday, July 21st the Collective group met to continue the discussion on GO 400 edits with the Chief of Police. Updated GO400 and Use of Force Wheel.
New updated and implemented documents:
- GO 400 Use of Physical Force-Deadly Physical Force Firearms (PDF) (items in red are added/edits/suggestions)
- GO 400 - Use of Force Wheel (PDF)
- View the Final Plan.
- Policing Reform and Reinvention Collective (October 9, 2020) (PDF)
Vote on Local Law 1-2021 at the City Council February 3rd 7 pm Meeting. Public Hearing for Local Law 1-2021 held on January 20th.
Additional Previous PAB Documents & Council Minutes
- 10-22-20 Local Law 1-2020 with EJB council 82 and GDC Comments Final (PDF)
- Final Form of Local Law 1-2020 Designated for 9-23-2020 Public Hearing (PDF)
- Local Law 1-2020 as of 10-6-20 (PDF)
- Local Law 1-2020 as of 11-12-2 (PDF)
- Local Law 1-2020 as of 11-19-20 (PDF)
- Local Law 1-2020 for 1-13-21 Public Hearing Approved 12-08-20 (PDF)
- Local Law 1-2020 Version Prior to 12-8-20 Council Meeting (PDF)
- November 30, 2020 Council Action Minutes (PDF)
- Body Camera Task Force Policy 53 - Adopted (PDF)
- Police Budget Advisory Board By-laws 54 - Adopted (PDF)
- Proclamation No Place for Hate in the City of Geneva (PDF)
- Resolution 46-2020 Encouraging a Use of Force Policy (Interim Provision) for Geneva City Police Department (PDF)
- Resolution 49-2020 Implicit Bias Training for City of Geneva Staff and City Council (PDF)
- Resolution 53-2020 Resolution Adopting the City of Geneva Body Camera Task Force Policy (PDF)
- Resolution 54-2020 Adopting the City of Geneva Police Budget Advisory Board By-Laws (PDF)
Throughout the process, we will send out requests for feedback on policies and initiatives under consideration.
Past Proposals Sent Out for Feedback and Community Comments received as of October 2, 2020:
- Final Form of Local Law 1-2020 Designated for September 23, 2020 Public Hearing (PDF)
- Review Item Number 1: Proposed Geneva Local Law 2-2020 (PDF)
- Review Item Number 2: Draft Police Department Body Camera Policy Task Force By-Laws (PDF)
- Review Item Number 3: Draft Police Budget Advisory Board By-Laws (PDF)
More Information on the Consultation Process
More information on the consultation process is outlined in the Geneva Police Reform Consultation Plan (PDF).