Downtown Construction Activity
DRI Downtown Streetscape & 5&20 Construction
October 25th Week:
Castle St. Activity
On-street parking continues to be unavailable. South side of Castle St. activity will begin this week
- Completing drainage structure installation behind curb on Castle Street between Genesee and North Main.
- Fine grading continues from everything behind curb and placing all concrete, exposed aggregate and bio retention soil where possible from Railroad tracks to North Main.
- Placing asphalt in sewer laterals on East Castle Street.
- Installing drainage structures across East Castle.
- Light demolition of curb and sidewalk along Southside of East Castle.
- Drainage structure installation on south side of East Castle.
- Milling all of Castle Street from railroad to North Main.
- Painting and beginning construction setup along south Castle Street.
Exchange St. Activity
- Beginning landscaping items.
- Milling Exchange Street at Lake Street intersection, Canal Street and where needed.
- For both streets - True and leveling asphalt course for all of Castle Street and Exchange Street locations noted above.
Want to Stay in the Loop?
Sign-up for regular updates through the Instant Input mobile app.
Scan the QR code for the app:
Or Search in the app stores for: Instant Input
Included in Project
Construction of the DRI streetscape project includes improvements to public sidewalk areas (seating areas, public art, table top games, trees and green infrastructure planting areas for cleaning stormwater), on-street parking areas, bicycle amenities, pavement areas and some sewer laterals.
This is an exciting time for the community; and we understand the stress that construction activity can cause for residents, businesses and visitors.
Through traffic will be allowed; and it is important to note that access to all businesses will be maintained during construction. For everyone's safety and stress reduction, we ask that everyone please plan for extra time or alternate routing to get to your downtown destinations.
The majority of the project will be completed this year with some items being finished in 2022. The project area for this work includes: streetscape improvements on Exchange Street (from Castle Street to Lewis Street), on E Castle/Castle Street from 5&20 to N Main Street; some sewer lateral improvements will occur on Exchange and E Castle Streets; and repaving work on Main Street between Castle and Seneca Street.
In 2022, construction will begin on 5&20 including creating a boulevard experience for drivers, pedestrian crossing improvements, designated bicycle lanes and planting areas. The project area is 5&20 from just east of Lake Street heading west to Elizabeth Blackwell Street and up the bridge.