- Police Department
- Officer Candidate Information
Officer Candidate Information
- High school graduation or possession of a high school equivalency diploma issued by an Education Department of any of the United States; or possession of a comparable diploma issued by any Commonwealth, Territory or Possession of the United States or by the Canal Zone
- Candidates must be legal residents of Ontario, Livingston, Monroe, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne, or Yates County for at least one month immediately preceding the examination date.
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens at the time of appointment.
- Possession of a New York State driver's license at time of appointment.
- Candidates who have been convicted of a felony will be barred from appointment and candidates convicted of a misdemeanor may be barred from appointment.
Special Requirements for Candidates Who Successfully Complete the Written Examination
Medical & Physical Fitness Standards
Candidates must meet the physical fitness and medical standards prescribed by the Municipal Police Training Council. Candidates must pass the written test in order to be scheduled for the qualifying physical fitness test. The four elements measured in the qualifying physical fitness test are muscular endurance, flexibility, absolute strength and cardiovascular capacity. Candidates who are given a conditional offer of employment will be scheduled to take the required medical examination. A polygraph exam and a psychological exam will be conducted after a contingent offer is made. Copies of the physical fitness and medical standards are available upon request from the City Personnel Office.
The following is a brief description of the physical fitness test:
- Sit Up: Muscular Endurance - The requirement is for a number of bent-leg sit-ups to be performed in one minute, depending upon age and sex, representing the 40th percentile of fitness.
- Flexibility - The "sit and reach" test measures the range of motion of the lower back and hamstrings. This portion involves stretching out to touch the toes and beyond with extended arms from the sitting position. The requirement is for achievement of a score representing the fortieth (40th) percentile of fitness, depending upon age and sex.
- Push-up Muscular Endurance (Upper Body) - Requirement if a male candidate is 29 push-ups, while a female is required to do 15 push-ups.
- 1.5 Mile Run: Cardiovascular Capacity - The requirement is for the attainment of a score calculated in minutes:seconds, representing the 40th percentile of fitness, depending upon age and sex.