Heritage, Hearth & Home
There is a homey feel to this family friendly area. The neighborhood is located just above the Historic North neighborhood nestled between Castle Heights and East Lakeview. From this wonderful collection of streets that lead off major thoroughfares such as North Street and North Genesee Street, you can easily walk to schools, Geneva General Hospital by Finger Lakes Health, downtown and the lakefront area. At the same time this neighborhood is a short drive to state Routes 5 and 20 and the New York state Throughway, which makes commuting from Geneva easier.
Most of the neighborhood consists of single family houses with a wide variety of styles to choose from. Some of the homes at the far ends have an almost suburban feel, while those closer to downtown have the beautiful Victorian features found in many of Geneva's homes. The housing stock is in good condition, and for now, can still be had for reasonable prices. This neighborhood has the benefit of having the hospital, the high school, and the middle school. A large neighborhood park, historic train station with connecting walking and bike paths make it attractive to active families.
One part is known as Torrey Park or Little Italy stemming from a strong Italian community that was historically located in this area. The Italian influence can still be found in our great Italian restaurants, party houses and neatly tended gardens and arbors. It is now home to a vibrant and diverse population, drawing from the many influences that make Geneva the special and welcoming city it is.
- This neighborhood holds group garage sales, gardening projects, and watches out for each other.
- Virginia Torruella organized the first citywide Plant Swap in 2014. Three groups of residents have worked together on curb appeal challenge grants, two were selected for implementation by the city; Humbert Street in 2011 and North Genesee Street in 2012.
- Garage Clean Up
- Nieder Park Garden Project
Points of Interest
- Nieder Park located off Avenue B and Genesee Street
- The Torrey Park Historic District
- The Historic Lehigh Valley Train Station
- The home of Italian eateries in Geneva
- The Cracker Factory which hosts cultural events and artistic ventures
- A growing group of second hand shops on Avenue D
- Connective trails and pathways