NOTE: Any citizen who has a problem with a solicitor in the City of Geneva is encouraged to call the City Clerk’s Office at (315) 789-2603.
From the Code of the City of Geneva Chapter 256, Article I
- 1. It is unlawful for any person within the corporate limits of the city to act as a vendor, hawker, peddler, or solicitor without first having obtained, paid for, and having in force and effect, a license therefore.
- 2. Any person desiring to obtain a license to solicit in the City of Geneva shall file with the City Clerk a written or typed application upon a form furnished by the City Clerk.
- 3. Applications for first time solicitors must be approved by the Geneva Police Department (Clerk will fax a copy of the completed application to that Department). There is a three day waiting period before the license can be issued.
- 4. Upon approval of the City Clerk, a license will be issued by the City Clerk at a cost of $15 per person, per day. A license good for 6 months may also be issued for $100 per person. Payment may be made in the form of cash or check.
- 5. All persons involved in the solicitation must obtain a license, and the license shall be carried and exhibited upon demand. The Clerk requires proper picture identification which will be copied and kept on file in the City Clerk’s Office. A license is not assignable to another person. No license shall be granted to a person under 18 years of age.
- 6. Restrictions:
- a. Hours for peddling upon private property the City of Geneva are 9:00am to 7:00pm on any day.
- b. No peddler shall peddle within 200 feet of any place occupied exclusively as a public or private school or for school purposes.
- c. No peddler shall falsely or fraudulently misrepresent the quantity, character, or quality of any article offered for sale. No person shall by trick, device or by false representation obtain or attempt to obtain admission to the house or building of any person in the City.
- d. No peddler shall enter any business with a “No Peddlers” or “No Solicitors” sign in their window.
Any solicitor in violation of any of the above Restrictions, any City ordinances or any law will have their license revoked by the City Clerk for a period of no less than 6 months. No refund shall be given for any unearned portion of the license fee.