Shade Tree Committee Projects
2009-2012 Shade Tree Committee Report: Read the report here.
- Conducts Arbor Day celebrations, identifying sites, selecting appropriate species and planting trees on the following streets. Annual celebrations attended by large number of school children from primary grades.
- Avenue B (2009)
- Habitat for Humanity homes on Sweeney Avenue and Hawkings Street (2010)
- Washington Street Park entrance (2011)
- Sharon St. (2012)
- West St. School (2013)
- Interacts with the Geneva Neighborhood Resource Center for neighborhood associations’ annual garden walks. (Founders Square, 2012 and Historic North, 2013)
- Hosted the annual New York ReLeaf Conference, including an on-street tour and a planning workshop on trees for malls (2010)
- Provide DPW with ongoing information and evaluation of risk situations.
- Advised DPW on 3-year removal plan for trees with a mid-to-high risk rating. (2009)
- Selects new or replacement trees for special projects. Examples:
- DOT North Exchange renovation with input from Cornell University’s Urban Horticulture Institute (2009)
- North Main St. islands (2010)
- Castle St. library project (2012)
- Lakefront playground (2012)
- Advised DPW on the integration of the City’s tree database into a tree management software program. (2011)
- Cooperates with the Geneva Neighborhood Resource Center on neighborhood tree planting projects. (2012-2013)
- Obtains grant funds for tree plantings. Examples:
- North Genesee, $20,000, 96 trees (2007-08)
- Hildreth Hill neighborhood (Brook St., Lyceum St., High St., Nursery Ave., Lewis St., and William St.), $25,000, 100 trees (2009-10)
- Eight neighborhood streets (Hallenbeck Ave., Lafayette Ave., Middle St., North St., Oak St., Optical St., Wadsworth St., and West St.), $25,000, 100 trees (2011-12)