Seneca Lake Plein Air Festival
Visit The Smith Opera House Seneca Plein Air Festival for More Information
The third annual Seneca Lake Plein Air Festival will be held from Wednesday, September 28 to Sunday, October 2, 2016 in Geneva, NY. The event, which benefits The Smith Center for the Arts, will showcase the northern end of Seneca Lake in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region. This is a juried art competition with cash prizes. This year’s judge will be Wendy Harris from Syracuse, NY. Winners will be announced at a ticketed Preview Party, Exhibit, and Sale on Saturday, October 1 at the Smith Opera House. Entries will be juried by Gwen McCausland and Barbara Doyle and up to 30 artists will be selected. The winning artwork will be used in marketing the 2017 Festival. This year’s promotional material features the winning 2015 painting, South on Bentley, by Jill Stefani Wagner. Last year, 55 paintings were sold during the weekend with sales topping $22,000. Over $6,000 from those sales benefitted the Smith Center for the Arts.
All competition entries will be offered for sale at the artist’s price. Artists will receive 70% of the sale price of their artwork, with the remaining 30% going directly to support arts programming through The Smith Center for the Arts. All artists are expected for be present for both the Preview Party on October 1 and the Public Art Exhibition and Sale on October 2. We hope you will join us in creating a memorable and fun-filled experience for both artists and art-enthusiasts alike.
Proceeds to Support The Smith Center for the Arts
The Smith Center for the Arts is the premier venue for the arts in the Finger Lakes Region. The organization owns and operates the Smith Opera House offering a dynamic calendar of movies, concerts, educational programming, and arts advocacy projects. Its mission is to create a vibrant culture for the arts in the Finger Lakes. We deeply appreciate the creative vision and hard work of Billsboro Winery owners, Kim and Vinny Aliperti, for bringing plein air painting to the Finger Lakes in 2007. We are very grateful for their continued support and involvement.
The Seneca Lake Plein Air Festival is made possible in part by our sponsors. We thank all of you for your generous support.
Click an event for details.
Plein Air – Paint-Off – Lehigh Gardens NeighborhoodSaturday, October 1 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Plein Air – Paint-Off Art SaleSaturday, October 1 at 12:30 PM
Plein Air – Preview Party, Exhibit, and SaleSaturday, October 1 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Plein Air – Public Exhibition and SaleSunday, October 2 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Seneca Lake Plein Air Artists ExhibitMonday, October 10 11:00 AM to 5:00 PMWednesday, November 30 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM